The Minako Seki Method departs from imagination and the endless possibilities of it.
Through imagination, we can connect consciousness with unconsciousness, as well as micro-cosmos with macro-cosmos.
Imagination is our creative impulse and our motor for artistic expression.
During the workshop we use the power of imagination as main source, to evoke our senses and create natural quality in the physical principles of movement.
Basic Principles of the Seki Method :
|24-27.09.2018||Workshop Erasmus+||Esad / Galicia||Vigo||Spain|
|19-22.7. 2018||Summer Workshop||UFER STUDIOS Tanzfabrik||Berlin (Wedding)||Germany|
|15-22.5.2018||Seki Method Retreat in Mallorca||Son Dragó||Mallorca||Balear Islands, Spain|
|18. - 22. 04.2018||Seki Method||University of Roehampton||London||UK|
|16-18.03.2018||Water Workshop Barcelona||La Piconera||Barcelona||Spain|
|3-4.03.2018||Wasser Workshop Bern||TKW Vidmarhallen||Bern||Switzerland|
|24.-25.02.2018||Water Workshop Bielefeld||Bellzett||Bielefeld||Germany|
|6-7.01.2018||Tanz Fabrik Winter Festival||Tanzfabrik||Berlin||Germany|
|8-10.12.2107||dancing the qualia at Exploratorium||Exploratorium||Berlin||Germany|
|13-15.10.2017||Dancing the Qualia Barcelona||La Piconera||Barcelona||Spain|
|6-11.06.2017||Seki Method RETREAT in Mallorca||Son Dragó||Mallorca||Spain|
|15-19.03.2017||Dancing the Qualia / Composition Workshop||Eden Studios||Berlin||Germany|
|24-26.03.2017||Seki Method Barcelona||La Piconera||Barcelona||Spain|
|13-15.01.2017||Seki Method Bielefeld||TAO||Bielefeld||Germany|
|7-8.01.2017||Tanz Fabrik Winter Festival||Tanzfabrik||Berlin||Germany|
- Sense Power: Exercises that will bring us to release inhibitions, awaken the mind-body connection, deepen our breath and warm our bodies.
4. Tan Den: My source of energy is a little sun, that is situated in the centre of my body (in Japanese called Tan-Den). Through this little sun there is a thin thread, that on one end passes up through the crown of our skull all the way to the cosmos and on the other end is pulled straight to the centre of the earth. Locating and feeling this line is what will help us to bring all the mentioned principles together.
2. Hanging Body: In reaction to the gravity force, we experience that in our reality everything is falling down in the direction of the center of the earth. Like the objects, when we walk each step is falling in to the middle of earth. Experiencing how easy is to walk, we can feel this effortless sensation in all our movements. By using gravity, we can generate all movements as they would come out of the relaxed body; using it as a powerful impulse and motor of movement. We are all hanging from the earth.
- Meditation: Every morning we will practice Vipassana meditation Technique learned from Ajhan Tong Sirimangalo. This meditation involves mindful bowing, mindful walking, mindful sitting. The movements can be extended to any activity, for example as a working meditation, for creating or improvising. We observe the perception of our senses, thinking and feeling and hereby we practice to concentrate our mind on the moment (here and now) as well as becoming aware of our patterns, to be able to break them if required. The resulting presence is the basis for all further workshop contents.
- Water bag body: Based on the biological fact that our body contains over 80% water, we try to move our body as it would be a big water bag. We observe and experience the properties of a bag felt with water to apply them to our bodies. We can feel that when we are relaxed, we are able to react to the impulses and to all what surrounds us and find a very intense quality of movement. When we let go our body fall in the direction of gravity, we will get automatically a bouncing reaction. The re-bounce reaction of a fall is the dynamic of the dancing body.
After Minako Seki”s many years of choreographic experience, she has develop her own creative method based on improvisation.
Her technique is called “dancing in Between“ as it is based on the connection between different points. The points are generated from the experience of the dancer and can be many different elements such as spaces, feelings, memories, objects, sounds, images and imaginations. While composing a dance, the points will connect in a circle and between the connections of two there always exist many other points with endless possibilities of association and creativity.
Words and images from the Summer Intensive Workshop 2016:
<<… I feel very fortunate to have participated in this intensive. It was also very nice to watch the endless amount of patience with which Minako handled the workshop and interacted with everyone. Observing their different set of needs and limitations, but staying true to her course. Her coolness seems to rise from the choices she makes for herself daily. In return, it affects how she teaches this pathway to others…>>
<<…The combination of dance, healing, cooking and meditation was wonderful! I left feeling very healthy, grounded and well-nourished: full of good vibes! Kendo and sketching were also great – I could understand how the different disciplines linked together. ..>>
<<… There has been a lot of learning. I also very much appreciate the way the sessions developed, with a great flow from something very simple into something more complex and often leading to so beautiful improvisations!!…>>
<<… There is clear before and after Minako’s workshop. Through the intensive and concentrate training you really connect with your body, your soul and mind, and experiment a transformation. You go home renewed and re-invigorated, or even being another person. It’s not only about learning a dance technique but about getting to know yourself and acquiring important tools to have a better life. She teaches how to be creative and at the same time hear your deepest feelings…>>